Doing Business in Truckee

Information on Doing Business in Truckee

Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control

BBB of Northern Nevada
Serves the Truckee area.

Town of Truckee Planning Division
The Town of Truckee does not require business licenses except for taxi services and firearm dealers. For more information, contact the Planning Division.

Employment Development Department (EDD)


One-Stop Business & Career Center
100 Levon Ave., Ste. 105, Truckee, CA 96161
Assistance in matching the job seeker and the employer. One-Stop Business & Career Centers are the connection point for job seekers and employers.

Nevada County Economic Resource Council (NCERC)
530-274-8455  •
Non-profit organization that works to enhance the economic vitality of Nevada County by supporting the retention, creation, expansion and attraction of quality, primary jobs. Serves as a central point of contact for employers requiring business assistance or considering expansion or relocation.

SCORE, Counselors to America’s Small Business
University of Nevada, Reno
775-784-4436  •
Nationwide organization of active and retired businessmen and women who volunteer their services to assist small businesses and people who want to go into business for themselves. SCORE counselors offer business advice, mentoring and information including the development of effective business plans and strategies for business growth.

Sierra Business Council
10183 Truckee Airport Rd., #102, Truckee, CA 96161
530-582-4800  •
Association of businesses working to secure the economic and environmental health of the Sierra Nevada. SBC’s work includes research, policy analysis, public education and leadership development.

Sierra Small Business Development Center (SBDC)

10183 Truckee Airport Rd., #102, Truckee, CA 96161
530-582-5022 •

Conveniently located in Truckee, SBDC offers free one-on-one business consulting to help you start, expand or grow a business. They will also help you identify and qualify for business loan opportunities. Free consulting includes business planning, loan readiness, Quickbooks and basic accounting, cash flow management, strategic planning, marketing and social media.

Sierra Economic Development Corporation (SEDCORP)
530-823-4703  •
Private non-profit organization devoted to supporting the economic development of the rural communities north and east of Sacramento. They support local jurisdictions in their economic development efforts; support the region’s businesses with a variety of training events; and are a small business lender. SEDCorp provides loan products sourced from the U.S. Small Business Administration and the Department of Agriculture.

State Employment Development Department
888-745-3886  •
If you hire employees, you must register with the State Employment Development Dept. within 15 days after paying wages in excess of $100 in a quarter. The EDD regulates State Disability Insurance, Unemployment Insurance, Income Tax Withholdings and Employment Training Tax. There is no fee to register as an employer.

Nevada County Environmental Health Department
10183 Truckee Airport Rd., Ste. 20, Truckee, CA 96161
Nevada City Office: 530-265-1222
Reviews plans, conducts construction inspections and issues permits for restaurants, markets, septic systems, well construction, public swimming pools/hot tubs and other businesses where the health of the public or the environment is an issue.

Federal Tax Information & Assistance
800-829-1040  •
Information regarding employee withholding, self employment tax, sole proprietorship, partnership and corporation taxes, contact the IRS.

Nevada County Recorder
950 Maidu Ave, Nevada City, CA 95959
If you are conducting a business under a name other than your surname, you need to submit a Fictitious Business Name Statement form (available online or at the County Clerk office). Once completed, the form must be filed with the Nevada County Recorder.

California State Board of Equalization
3321 Power Inn Rd., #210
Sacramento, CA 95826-3889
800-400-7115 •
Selling or leasing tangible personal property in the State of California requires a Seller’s Permit, which allows the Board of Equalization to keep track of your taxable sales in order to collect the sales tax owed by your business.

State of California Franchise Tax Board
800-852-5711  •
Once each year, every business in the State of California is required to submit a Business Income Tax Statement to the Franchise Tax Board. For information regarding your filing, contact the Franchise Tax Board or your accountant.

10183 Truckee Airport Rd., Truckee, CA 96161
530-582-7700  •
More information can be found on the Town of Truckee website, including:

  • NEW!! OpenCounter web-based tool to help entrepreneurs to get their businesses up and running more quickly and easily by providing an online interface to the permitting process at Town Hall.
  • Starting a Business in Truckee – an informational resource brochure
  • Commercial Building Permit
  • Design Review
  • Encroachment Permit
  • Sign Permit/Temporary Signs
  • Temporary Commercial Uses
  • Vendors/Festivals
  • Special Event Permit
  • Recycling Programs
  • NEW -- Single Use Plastic Bag Ban
    • Effective June 1, 2014. Ordinance effects all retail establishments located or doing business within the geographical area of Truckee. Due to health code regulations, restaurants providing carry out food services are currently exempt. For more information, visit